Arts and Entertainment
- An Appalachian Summer Festival
- The Arts at Appalachian
- Banff Mountain Film Festival
- Campus Activities
- Community Music School
- Hayes School of Music
- New York Loft
- Programs and Events at Plemmons Student Union
- The Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts
- Turchin Center for the Visual Arts
Attractions and Things to Do
- Explore Boone
- Explore Boone, NC
- High Country 365
- High Country Radio News
- High Country Recreation
- Meetups in Boone
- Todd’s Calendar
Chambers of Commerce
Child Care and Development
- Appalachian State University Resources
- Homeschool Information
- Local Area Resources
- The Children's Council of Watauga County - Region 9's local partner.
- The Children's Playhouse
- Kid Cove Preschool and Drop In Hourly Childcare
- Mountain Alliance
- Local Child Care Centers Listing
- Region 9 Childcare Resource and Referral - They assist families in locating and transitioning into childcare in this area. (877) 670-8735, (704) 878-9980, Christen Fries, firstname.lastname@example.org to contact them directly.
- Western Youth Network
- North Carolina Resources
- North Carolina Division of Child Development
- North Carolina Health and Human Services
- Search for a Child Care Provider in North Carolina - or refer to the above link for The Children's Council of Watauga County
Cultural and Historical Information
Disabilities and Eldercare
- Area Agency on Aging Service Providers
- High Country Area Agency on Aging
- High Country Caregiver Foundation
- High Country Council of Governments
- Parent to Parent Family Support Network
- Recovery Center for the Aging
- Domestic Partner Benefits
- The LGBT Center
- Military Affairs Committee
- Office of Equity, Diversity and Compliance
- Office of International Education and Development
- Student Veterans Association
- Student Veteran Services
- Appalachian State University Women's Club
- Appalachian State University Black Faculty and Staff Association (BFSA)
- Faculty Senate
- Faculty Staff Christian Fellowship
- Staff Senate
- State Employees Association of North Carolina (SEANC)
- Ascent Business Network
- Appalachian Enterprise Center
- Appalachian's NC Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)
- Appalachian Regional Commission
- Silicon Hollar
Health and Wellness
- Health Promotion - Provides faculty, staff, partners and families with information, programs, and services to promote a healthy lifestyle and a good quality of life. Major components of the program include exercise classes, dietary assistance, and health screenings.
- Mental Health - Confidential counseling services are available through Counseling for Faculty and Staff to help with personal problems, especially when they interfere with work performance. Assistance is available at no cost to staff, faculty and their immediate family members.
- North Carolina State Health Plan
- Nutrition Resources
- Personal Safety
- University Recreation (UREC) - University Recreation (UREC) offers a variety of opportunities for recreation and outdoor activities, such as:
- Fitness and Informal Recreation facilities include The Quinn Center, Mount Mitchell, the Student Recreation Center (SRC) and Varsity Gym.
- Club Sports is designed to offer students, faculty, and staff a competitive outlet on a non-varsity level.
- Outdoor Programs includes kayaking, caving, hiking, rock climbing, canoeing and more. Check out equipment or participate in activities.
- Intramural Sports activities offer the opportunity to compete against peers in a friendly and structured environment.
- Indoor Swimming Pool is available in the Student Recreation Center (SRC).
Home Buying Search
- Appalachian Marketplace - Contains any current properties for rent or sale by ASU Employees and discounts provided by local relocation-related businesses.
- High Country Association of Realtors - They have a home search feature.
- Realtors in Boone Listing
- Watauga Democrat Classifieds - Homes For Sale
- Apartments for Rent
- Appalachian Marketplace - employee-owned properties for rent
- High Country Association of Realtors - They provide a comprehensive, current rental firm list where rental properties are separated into the categories of non-student, student and vacation rentals.
- Hotels and Short-Term Lodging Listing
- Short-Term Rental Listing
- Watauga Democrat Classifieds - Homes For Rent
- Belk Library and Information Commons - The Belk Library has one of the premier collections in the South. You may check out books by using your ASU ID Card.
- Watauga County Public Library
- University Writing Center- The University Writing Center is located in Belk Library. This department offers:
- Free services to students, faculty, and staff of Appalachian State University.
- Anyone who would like to discuss a piece of writing with an informed, sensitive reader is welcome.
- Works with writers on a wide variety of projects: papers for academic courses; masters and senior thesis chapters; personal essays for job, graduate school, and law school applications; creative writing projects; grant or project proposals; and course syllabi.
- Works with writers at any stage of the writing process, from inventing topics to editing at the sentence level.
Maps and Public Transportation
- AppalCART - Free public transportation
- Banner Elk Map
- Blowing Rock Map
- Boone Map and Information
- Campus Map
News and Information
- Appalachian Scene - Faculty and Staff Newsletter
- Belk Library and Information Commons
- University Bookstore
- Ashe County Humane Society
- Avery Humane Society
- Pet Boarding and Grooming
- Watauga Humane Society
Places of Worship
- Alleghany County Schools
- Ashe County Schools
- Avery County Schools
- Caldwell County Schools
- Grace Academy
- Mary's Montessori School
- Mountain Pathways Montessori School
- North Carolina Virtual Public School
- Public and Private Schools Listing
- Two Rivers Community School - A tuition-free public-charter school
- Watauga County Schools
- Watauga High School - Watauga County has one high school: a beautiful new, $60 million+, LEED Certified facility located at 300 Go Pioneers Drive, Boone, NC 28607, 828-264-2407.
- Watauga Innovation Academy
- Appalachian & the Community Together (ACT)
- Volunteer and Service Learning
- ACT strives to connect the campus and surrounding community through engaging local non-profit businesses as co-educators for students, collaborating with faculty and staff to integrate civic engagement into curriculum, and develop students as leaders through experiential learning opportunities.To get involved yourself or to incorporate service learning into your classroom, contact Kate Johnson, email@example.com, 828-262-2545.